Here is a quick list of the 5 frugal things I’ve done in the past few weeks
- Made homemade laundry detergent from soap nuts. I made a batch of laundry soap this week. I make enough to last about 2 weeks, so we should be good for a while. See my post about soap nuts here. I spend about $10-15 dollars on a pound of soap nuts and this will last me at least 6 months!
- Making my own breadcrumbs. I have always used store-bought Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, which although cheap, making homemade breadcrumbs from leftover/stale bread is even better! I don’t know why I never thought of doing this before, or even why I am so surprised they work! I just take old bread odds and ends and either toast them in my oven or the toaster and then pulse them a few times in my food processor. I store them in the freezer.
- No paper towels or paper napkins! This isn’t specifically something that I have done in the past few weeks. In fact, we have been paper-free in our kitchen for 5 years now! I was reminded how frugal this is when I was picking up some bulk items at BJs and saw the prices of paper towels and napkins. Thankful for our large stash of cloth dish towels, dish cloths and cloth napkins.
- Double checking a coupon at the dept store. OK, so not super frugal because I used the coupon on an expensive pair of shoes. But when I doubled checked my coupon and details, I was able to get an additional 20% off that the cashier missed.
- Pantry eating. We were able to make quite a few meals this past week from items in our pantry. I am always happy to use of ingredients we have stored in the pantry and save some money on our grocery bill.
What frugal things have you done this week?